Today started day 1 of our benchmarking at CrossFit. On the roster:
Push Press (95#)
Power Clean (105#)
Back Squat (175#)
I started with Push Press. This was an experience! I tried to do my max with 105# but I couldn’t get my arms all the way straight. In fact, I was losing control of the weight and since it was going backward, I just plopped it down on my shoulders. Stupid? yes…Painful? A little bit….Everything was ok? yep. So, I dropped back down to 95# and maxed there. This was up 10# from last time, but not as much as I wanted. I wanted the 105#. My partner, Sunny, kicked ass! She is such an inspiration.
Next was the Back Squat. We don’t do back squats very often. In fact, the last time I did them that I can remember was when we maxed out the last time. I went up 20#, which was a 10% increase. I would have liked to have done at least 200#. Again, not what I wanted, but still happy with the increase.
Last we did the Power Clean. My max with the clean was 105# and that’s what I got again this time. I was pulling the bar high enough, I just couldn’t get myself to squat under it. It’s definitely a mental thing. My other issue is that I’m not very flexible in my arms so I have a difficult time getting my elbows up. If you can’t get your elbows up you won’t be able to support the higher weights!
All in all, I’m pleased with the increases but still a little let down. Tomorrow is the final day of benchmarking. I’m not sure what we’re doing but Shane said we were doing some other “moves” (I assume deadlift) and some body weight work (how many push ups in a minute type thing). I’m sore tonight and I imagine will be sore tomorrow. We’ll see!